Somewhere just west of the little town of Mendocino lies the spot geologists call the “Triple Junction”, where three tectonic plates deep in the earth’s crust converge and contend.
For First Nation people who foraged along this rocky coast for roughly ten millenia, it must have seemed the spot where Abalone Woman, also called Changing Woman, came to escape the clutch of Eagle and find her sanctuary facing westward, towards the source of a deep transformative power.
“Eagle came down the coast, so they say
Came down where she sat, facing west,
He whipped her with fire on the coast, they say
Then flew back, they say, to the ridge,
Then Eagle looked back, he looked west, they say
And saw she was sitting there still.“
In 1860, when stagecoach service first connected San Francisco to the Mendocino Coast the trip was a bumpy, dusty, and unpleasant affair. By 1878, when weekly ocean-going steamship service linked the two cities by sea, visitors had no wharf upon which to disembark.Instead, women were hoisted down the side of the ship in a makeshift “chair” and men were forced to climb down the ship’s rigging in order to reach the shore.
Today, the winding drive through Anderson Valley to the sea offers visitors verdant vineyard views as they pass through the little town of Philo, the Greek word for love.
Boonville Hotel’s Table 128 is a roadhouse restaurant serving family-style prix fixe dinners on the weekends. Paella is prepared and served in the courtyard here on Sunday afternoons during the warmer months.
The little town of Mendocino was founded in 1850 as the site of a sawmill. At the time, old-growth redwood forests covered more than 2,000,000 acres of California and huge numbers of redwood logs—some more than 16 feet in diameter—were transported in massive flows down Big River towards waiting ships at sea. Some of these giant logs, called “Sinkers” never made it down river but sank to the bottom.
Around the turn of the last century a local doctor named Arky Ciancutti who lived by “Smuggler’s Cove” at the mouth of Big River, heard some bridge workers at a local bar talking about finding redwood shavings in their drill bits. Acting on the tip, Arky spent the next few months out on the river in a pontoon skiff. Using nothing but a 5-ton hand winch, he salvaged several hand-sawed redwood logs, known as “pumpkins”, from where they had lain on the river bottom for well over a century.
It was with this precious trove of mineralized tight-grained redwood with its rich and variegated hues of blond, burgundy and cinnamon, that Arky built the Brewery Gulch Inn.
Behind the Inn lies a misty field where one can stand quietly and listen to the wind.
The nightly dinner buffet offers vegetarian options and includes great local wines including Pinot Noir from Fathers+Daughters Cellars. Anderson Valley Pinot is truly world class, and this one offers up nice bright floral-berry aromas, intriguing notes of cherry jam and cola on the palate, and a long, mineral-tinged finish.
Generous breakfast options include omelettes made of local organic eggs served with seasonal berries, heirloom tomatoes, house-made pastries, and a lovely mango Lassi enlivened by lime juice, calamansi, and cardamom.
Just a five minute drive down the road awaits The Ravens , the superlative vegan restaurant at Stanford Inn. All the produce here is sourced directly from the Inn’s own certified organic gardens which a have been tended continuously on this site for well over a century.
A twenty minute drive up the coast, a few miles past the sleepy town of Fort Bragg, the Inn at Newport Ranch sits perched on a grassy bluff staring out over the vast blue Pacific.
The bluff was once the site of Newport, a small town and loading point for loggers. Here a system of chutes and pulleys once hoisted logs, cargo, and travelers down the sea cliffs and onto to the decks of Doghole Schooners that waited on the waves below. As Fort Bragg’s harbor to the south grew in stature, the town of Newport dwindled in importance. Eventually it disappeared altogether into the mists of history.
Today, vistors to the Inn at Newport Ranch can rove the coastal trails and hills of the property and give themselves a rich and lasting sense of the beauty and character of the site. There are also momentous sunsets to enjoy at dinner each night, and a hot tub on the rooftop to sip wine and watch the stars.
Ten thousand years before Europeans set foot on this coast it was a popular gathering spot for salt, mussels and abalone. Yuki people once called this mussel-gathering site Lilem, and ancient middens full of mussel shells from their seaside feasts still lie buried among the rocky outcroppings.
The Inn’s menu features seasonal local fruits and site-grown produce including Kale, squash, potatoes, peas, chard, arugula, broccoli, beets, cauliflower, carrots, radishes, and a variety of herbs and edible flowers. Amazingly the bounty is all culled from brimming garden boxes tended by the Inn’s talented gardener Felicia Brown.